September: (1st) David displays self-made collages as his contribution to ‘The Happening’ a multi-media event created by Barry Hale and Mitch Jenkins held once again at The Derngate in Northampton as well as playing a set with The Jazz Butcher Group. Kevin Haskins and Daniel Ash contribute proto-Bubblemen wall paintings. David additionally contributes (along with Alan Moore) three pages to the events associated fanzine. Also included with the pages of the zine is a feature written by The Wigmore Society…aka The Jazz Butcher.
David J Timeline (c) Andrew J Brooksbank
‘The Happening’ art magazine was limited to 100 copies, each copy had been numbered individually and came in a large A4 sized envelope. Contributors to the magazine were Alex Novak, Terence Walpole, Barry Hale, Pat Fish, Tim Perkins, Mitch Jenkins, David J and Alan Moore.
- Alex Novak had 3 promo pages about his band Religious Overdose and Attrition (including a detailed Attrition discography).
- Terence Walpole had 2 pages with drawings and a poem called ‘In Time All Must Return To The One’
- Barry Hale had 3 pages including one with title ‘The Doris Day Story’ and another with stills from ‘Jesus Sutcliffe’ – one of a series of 5 second films from CSAWZA
- Mitch Jenkins had a pages with a photo entitled ‘Homme Fatale’ and series of photos entitled ‘For The Love of Tea’.
- David J had 3 pages of ‘Sabotaged Sheets’ cuttings / collages. Some of his ‘Sabotaged Sheets’ were shown recently at Steven Wolf Fine Arts, San Francisco as part of Wall of Sound exhibition.
- Alan Moore contributed with 2 pages of an otherwise unavailable piece called ‘An Excerpt From Alan Moore’s America – An Impossibly Rich Celebrity’s Guide’. This piece describes his way back to Kennedy airport on the last day of his American visit. There was an article published with same title, ‘An Impossibly Rich Celebrity’s Guide’ in Escape Magazine #6 the same year which had just a few lines about the events described here in detail.
- Tim Perkins contributed one (or two) page(s) to the zine. He also did music score for a thematic Audio6-Visual6 series, one 2 min. video piece entitled “Facade part 7” that had been screened at the event. Score comprised songs like “Sticky Buns from Hell“, “Perverse Chick”, “Death of a Nation” and “Drug store sex”.
- The Jazz Butcher (Pat Fish) also contributed a 2 pages piece called ‘Soviet Intelligence And The Secrets Of Invisibility – from the current concerns desk of the Wigmore Organisation’. (Thanks to Andrew J Brooksbank for information)
- The Happening envelope also contains a copy of Time Devours / Stranded In The City 7″ by Trance
It’s pretty interesting to see how contributors crossed paths after ‘The Happening’ event, see later Emperors of Ice Cream (Alan Moore and Tim Perkins), The Moon and Serpent Grand Egyptian Theatre of Marvels (Alan Moore, David J, Tim Perkins), Show Pieces (Alan Moore / Mitch Jenkins), recordings of London/Trampling Tokyo (Alan Moore / Pat Fish), various photo sessions for David J / Love And Rockets / The Jazz Butcher albums by Mitch Jenkins, production of Love and Rockets video ‘ The Haunted Fish Tank’ by Barry Hale etc.